Sunday, June 21, 2009

yeesh

So this was supposed to be updated awhile ago. But between recovering from sickness (more on that later) and then dog sitting, and finally packing up all our junk to move this week, we've been busy beavers.


Here's a quick (haha who am I kidding, quick?) update on our little vacay.

The first week of June we traveled back to lovely Illinois to visit our family. The trip out there was great. We got a whole row to ourselves. Mary loved the idea of sitting by herself, though for take off and touch down I made her sit on my lap. She loved the window. She also slept on me for a solid 1-1 1/2 hours. She was really interested in the people sitting around us too. It would've gone off without a hitch if it weren't for the fact that little Mary drank her body's weight in liquids the entire time and ended up leaking massively out of her diaper. She was not pleased about getting changed on the plane. That was the only time she cried: and cry she did. Mightly.

We traveled on Gma Koz's birthday, so we forewent going to El Famous so we would have an appetite for Julie's birthday dinner. P.F.Changs. Yum yum. Mary was a little cranky, but once the noodles came out she was happy as a clam, slurping and playing with the chopsticks that Gpa Koz so lovingly supplied. She was over tired and had a hard time sleeping. I in turn had a hard time not running to the crib so she could sleep in my arms. I had to just let her cry it out. It's hard for me since she is not normally a crier. But after a solid 10 minutes or so she finally gave up and passed out. She slept til about 10 the next morning. It was glorious.

The next day was all about visiting Gma Koz at the church bookstore and getting...EL FAMOUS. Oh man. It was good. I wish I had some now. Only since I've been on a diet, my tummy couldn't handle much of it. Mary even liked it. The funniest part was actually picking up the food. The guy who helped us, who also probably was the owner or something, was so nice. He loved Mary. And kept offering us horchata and giving us a free drink for the Mar-Mar. All the workers were smiling at our cutie and she was playing shy and adorable as ever.

We spent the night at this indoor water resort called Key Lime Cove. Thanks to Gpas Koz for giving us the free night's stay and all day access to the water park. Also big thanks to Julie and Jessica for picking out Mary's swimsuit. Isn't it cute?We had a little mishap at the beginning of our adventure in the water. Seems Mary isn't too keen on massive amounts of water being dumped on her head without warning. Both Mary and I were standing in the play area, splashing and turning the little wheels and such that were placed throughout the place. I hear this bell ringing, and see kids running up to the general area that we are standing at. I kept looking around thinking What is going on? Is something about to drop on us? But I couldn't see anything. Then, wouldn't you know it, the giant pineapple at the top of the play area, completely full of water, tipped over spilling allthe contents on the unsuspecting (well, ok I guess Mary and me were the only unsuspecting) victims. Mary was not amused.(note, this was not actually taken after the giant pineapple fail of '09. But it accurately depicts Mary's mood.)
As a result, Mary was scared of the water. I'm talkin skirred. She did not want to go in. She would scream and lift her legs up if i tried to set her down. Coaxing her back into the water was a process. Eventually though, she was happy as a clam again. Observe:
I went down the slide with her a couple times, though I will not be sharing any of those pics/vids. My bum was hurt as I underestimated how quickly we'd go down and how shallow the water was. Didn't do that again. So instead, enjoy a vid of Mary goin to town on the little jets of water. (just don't mind all of my jibber-jabbering throughout the recording)



Mary even got some time out on the lake and took a turn as captain of the boat. The minute the driver's seat was unoccupied, that sly little thing crawled into the spot and started moving the steering wheel and trying to start it up by going for the boat. She's too smart sometimes. Luckily Gpa Koz took pity on her and let her honk the horn...a lot...while he drove around. I'm sure we were attracting bizarre looks from the other beach goers.



Then...everything went to crap. First, Brent got sick. The whole thing is entirely Tyler's fault; he got sick right before he and Jessica left back to Utah...the day before we arrived in IL. He passed it to Julie who passed it to Brent, who passed it to me, and then to poor little Mary. Of course, when Brent gets sick, it's like 100x worse. It's not just a cold, it's a Man's Cold. Really, if he had a bell, he'd have used it.
We were sick basically the entire time with my parents. It really sucked. Mary slept for about a whole day straight. She was a bit freaked out by poor Gpa Lub, but really only because she was under the weather. By the last day she was feelign better...and nicer. Unfortunately, she didn't even get to show them how much she loves her nanas, because she had no appetite. Funny how, when they took her shopping, she was happy as can be. Go figure, Mary is a bit girly huh? She loves to shop.

However, we were lucky enough to go see Star Trek with my dad. It was really good. I'm not a trekkie by any means, but I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, because I always drink too much during a movie, I had to cut out to the restroom halfway through to empty my bladder. Gma Lub watched Mary while we were gone. This is basically all Mary did the whole time we were at my parents' house:
(do you see Blankie int he pic? Yes we had to take him with us, or else!)
Regardless of the sickness, we had a good time. The flight back was almost non existant, as we were the very last two to be cleared to board. We didn't get to sit by each other, and Mary slept on my the entire time. The sweat spot on my shirt was ginormous. At least we made it though, that's what counts. And if it weren't for Keri and her generosity, we would've had to park in the economy lot or something. Instead, we were in the employee lot and had a nice shuttle to take us there. With two large suitcases, two smaller ones, carry ons and a car seat, we were not well equiped to lug those things far.

All in all, a good trip. We already miss our family. Now we get to look forward to moving. Ugh. Does anyone want to volunteer to pack and clean for me? 4 years of living in the same place=lots of accumulated junk. *cries* I'm not looking forward to all of this. Next post will come after we've settled into our new place. I'm excited for that, being unpacked and settled in. I wish I could fast forward to that point...

2 comments:

Clint, Camber, Camdon, Carolina, Corbin, and Cordelia said...

I love love love that picture of you and Mary with the sun behind you! It is adorable! Mary looks like she had so much fun! Cam and I leave for NC in 3 weeks (Clint will join us later) I hope Cam is able to have as much fun. I am sorry you guys were sick. When/Where are you moving?

Joe and Megan Karlsven said...

where are you moving to?